Retiredbear

Retiredbear

Reader

Reader - Erec Stebbins The first thing that struck me was my impression of the author. I knew nothing about him when I requested the book through LibraryThing. Mr. Stebbins is a very brilliant man as evidenced by his biography I read at the end of the book.

Each chapter is headed by some sort of differential equation that I never figured out the purpose. Each chapter also had a quote from a myriad of authors or famous people. Some of the quotations make sense to the chapter but most do not. Maybe I would understand more if I was familiar with more of the quoters.

The storyline goes from science fiction to psychological to philosophical and finally fantasy. It is written from the perspective of a 17 year old disfigured girl as dictated to a writer for our reading pleasure. This approach reminded me of how the Book of Mormon was written.

If you stripped out the overly cerebral portions of the book you would end up with a decent novella. Even though I could comprehend all the esoteric parts of the book, it simply did not hold my interest.