Retiredbear

Retiredbear

The Katyn Order: A Novel

The Katyn Order: A Novel - Douglas W. Jacobson The author tells 2 separate stories. The first 40% of the book tells of the Warsaw Rising in which the Germans basically ran over the Polish freedom fighters (AK) with a merciless siege. The Poles did inflict heavy damage on the Germans in their losing cause.

The story then shifts to a mysterious document written by the Russians and signed by Stalin that authorized the extermination of 27,000 Poles. About 4,000 Polish officers died in the Katyn forest as a result of the Katyn Order.

I found the story to be reasonably well written except that the author is repetitive in descriptions and sometimes far too descriptive causing the story to bog down.

The ending bothered me to a great extent. I kept reading to find out what happened as a result of the Katyn Order being found by the hero Adam. It was like the ending fell off a cliff, or the author got tired of the storyline, or the completion date arrived too soon. I was very disappointed at the conclusion.

I learned several historical lessons but so much of the book was fiction that I found myself wanting more of history. The entire premise of the book was fiction since it is unknown if the Katyn Order was an actual document. The author even went so far as to include a fictional journal at the end in what may be read by some as being an accurate depiction. If it were not for the Author's note at the very end of the book, the reader could easily be lulled into believing the book was based in fact rather than fiction.